z

Young Writers Society



Poison Love - Chapter 7

by Night Mistress


Chapter 7

I just stood there as I looked at the person in front of me. He was no longer the skinny kid that I knew when we were in England. He was now a man, a gorgeous one at that. My eyes wondered upon his handsome appearance. They sought out his attire.

The coal colored jacket hugged his form and matched the dark black of his eyes. His black shirt wore out his six-pact and clings to the muscles that ripped down his chest. Ethan's eyes were deep enough for any person, probably a lady, to fall in and get lost within.

My eyes then lingered upon his gorgeous face. Ethan's lips were full and played in an excited smile. His smile reminded me of when we were together as newborns. His teeth vibrated a bright white. A smile any superstar would want. Ethan's dark hair was cut short, but not too long. Ethan looked impressive in his over outer look. Any look that a lady would find attractive. I must have been ogling a little bit too long, because I felt a jabbed to my ribs.

“Ouch,” I muttered, rubbing the spot. I glared at Adelicia, who glared at me back. Ethan chuckled.

“You haven’t changed, Liz,” he said with a chuckle, using the nickname he gave me a long time ago.

“I would like to say the same thing, but I can’t. Look at you!” I squealed as I ran forward. I hugged him. He hugged me back before he picked me up and spun me around in a circle like a child. I squealed again and begged him to stop. After a couple of spins more, he finally obeyed my wishes and put me down. I leaned my head against his strong chest until the dizziness faded away, and then I pulled away. I suddenly remembered my sister and brother behind me, and I slowly turned to them with a sheepish smile on my face.

“Guys, this is Ethan Sharpe,” I said, introducing him to my siblings. Ashton and Adelicia stare at him like they were dissecting him, then finally Ashton held out a hand to him.

“Nice to meet you,” he said as Ethan took his hand and shook it. Ashton then pulled away.

“I take it you are Ashton and Adelicia,” Ethan said. At their shocked faces, he added, “the council talks a lot about this family since they have an obsession with Liz here.”

“That’s not surprising,” Adelicia said as she smirked my way.

“Okay, can we not talk about me?” I asked, avoiding the spotlight. “Ashton, can you grab Ethan’s luggage, so we can get the heck out of here?” They all laughed at me. Ethan wrapped an arm around me and kissed my cheek. Ashton and Adelicia watched on with curiosity in their gaze.

“Sure,” Adelicia finally said. We walked over to the terminal and picked up Ethan’s Bags. Adelicia saw this as a time to link my arm with her.

Oh no, here is when the questions begin, I thought as I looked at her.

“Ashton, why don’t you give me the key, so Elizabeth and I can fetch the car?” Adelicia asked her mate. I shook my head at Ashton, but he tossed Adelicia the keys anyway. I found myself being pulled to the door of the airport.

Crap, I thought. I tried to break free of her grip, but she managed to keep on a tight hold on me. We walked to the car and Adelicia unlocked it. I climbed into the passenger seat as she climbed into the driver’s seat.

“Alright, start asking away,” I said as I looked at her. She gave an innocent look. “Don’t play innocent. I know you want to know.”

“I guess I can’t pretend with you,” She said as she started up the car. “ So, how the heck do you know him? I thought you wouldn’t know this guy, but I guess wrong.”

“I met him long before you came into the family,” I said as I rolled down the window and let the air comb through my hair.

“What does that mean?” she asked as she drove to the entrance of the airport.

“I mean after I was turned, London and I took a trip of the world. We stopped in London, England. We hung out with the other vampires. He was one of them. He hadn’t got into the swing of things either. Over the couple of weeks, we became great friends and I had excepted that he developed a crush on me, but I thought it would pass after we left,” I retorted.

“Well, it didn’t. So what are you going to do now?” She asked. I shrugged. We drove up beside the walkway and parked there. We waited until we saw Ashton and Ethan coming to the car. Adelicia and me got out and helped them put in the bags. Adelicia beat me to the passenger seat up in the front.

“Be a dear and sit with your guest,” She said in a sweet voice. I growled at her. “Now Now,” She chided. I wanted to kill her right there, but I controlled myself and go into the back along with Ethan. We sat in silent for a while until Adelicia turned on the radio. And the first song that came on was Decode.

The truth is hiding in your eyes

And it's hanging on your tongue.

Just boiling in my blood.

But you think that I can't see

What kind of man that you are,

If you're a man at all.

Well, I will figure this one out

On my own.

(I'm screaming, "I love you so.")

On my own.

(My thoughts you can't decode)

The truth is hiding in your eyes I quoted to myself. I looked at Ethan. He must realize that I was looking at him and turned. We stared at each other, looking into each other’s eyes. Over the past couple of years I got good at reading people eyes, and I saw something that shocked me.

“We have to talk when we get home,” I said quietly. He nodded.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
43 Reviews


Points: 1733
Reviews: 43

Donate
Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 am



Wow thinks for editing it and making it longer, I kept thinking of what would she say
to Adelica. I like your decision better though, mine all came out corny. I like were this story is going and hope you continue!




User avatar
250 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 250

Donate
Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:40 pm
Night Mistress says...



Readers:


I have added more onto this chapter. I am so sorry i haven't been working on this, but hopefully I can cracked down on this story and really work on it.


As of right now, the prologue, chapter one and chapter two of this story have been edited and changed to Addicting Poison, the new title to Poison Love.

I hope you all enjoy the story very much.

See ya around.




User avatar
250 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 250

Donate
Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:55 pm
Night Mistress says...



then you will love this story more when i edit the whole thing.

the prologue and chapter one have already been edited, but i might go in again and edit again.




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 8

Donate
Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:22 pm
lollipop89281 says...



Everyone else picked the mistakes.... I DONT HAVE ANYTHING!!! *sobs incessantly*
Write more!!! I'm loving this series. ADDICTED!!




User avatar
250 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 250

Donate
Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:11 am
Night Mistress says...



josephdean;

alright. thanks.




User avatar
80 Reviews


Points: 1117
Reviews: 80

Donate
Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:06 am
JosephDean wrote a review...



Phew, I just read all of the previous chapters and then this one. The only main issues I saw where punctuation and grammar usage, which had all been pointed out. Although I do think that your story idea was great and that you described your scenes rather well, it is still simply another vampire romance story. Everyone reads Twilight, everyone thinks they can write awesome vampire love stories...lmao. Don't take it as an insult - seriously, because I'm not trying to be rude here; I liked it - but the characters have all been done before. Give it new "spice," if you will. Put in some new things that no one has done yet. Try to capture all kinds of people's attention and not just those who are obsessed with Edward Cullen :P

Let me know when your new chapters are uploaded because I will read those as well. =]




User avatar
250 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 250

Donate
Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:46 pm
Night Mistress says...



ashleylee:

Thanks for looking at this and i will pm you when i have the rest up.




User avatar
842 Reviews


Points: 1075
Reviews: 842

Donate
Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:58 pm
ashleylee wrote a review...



Hey, Bri! Here is the promised review, even though it was slow in coming :wink:

His black shirt wore out his six-pact and clings to the muscles that ripped down his chest.


"Clung" instead of "Clings"

“You haven’t changed, Liz,” he said with a chuckle, using the nickname he gave me a long time ago.


He chuckled in the previous sentence, so don't have him chuckle again. Do something else, like maybe have him waggle his eyebrows at her or something :wink:

~ ~ ~ ~

Yes, this is WAY too short to satisfy my need to read more about Ethan :wink: hehe

But anyway, I thought this was good. The only thing I think you should work on is making your sentences smoother. They're too choppy right now. Also, you need to connect some together. That might help with the flow.

Otherwise, I look forward to the addition to this :D




User avatar
250 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 250

Donate
Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:03 pm
Night Mistress says...



CastlesInTheSky wrote:NightMistress -

I skimmed through the other chapters before reading this, or it would be unfair to you.
I'm very sorry if I offended you by any of the things I said. I can be a bit brisk, but it's only because I care about you improving your writing. This story does have potential,and I'm not just saying that to make you feel better. :wink: You just need to work on it, just like with any other story.

PM me if you have any questions.
Good luck!

-Sarah


I know. I'm sorry i said that. It just i get very defensive with my writing. I will pm you if i have any questions.




User avatar
202 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 202

Donate
Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:00 pm
CastlesInTheSky says...



NightMistress -

I skimmed through the other chapters before reviewing this, or it would be unfair to you.
I'm very sorry if I offended you by any of the things I said. I can be a bit brisk, but it's only because I care about you improving your writing. :) After all, it's what YWS is for.
I don't know about you, but I'd rather get a harsh review that completely tore my piece apart than a load of praise, right? The only reason I went into so much detail was to be helpful - I don't bother doing that to pieces that have no hope.
This story does have potential,and I'm not just saying that to make you feel better. :wink: You just need to work on it, just like with any other story.

PM me if you have any questions.
Good luck!

-Sarah




User avatar
250 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 250

Donate
Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:20 pm
Night Mistress says...



CastlesInTheSky:

I know you don't mean to, but i feel like you have just slapped me across the face. i feel like you have insult me and my writing. I was planning on coming back to fix everything, because i am a student and it's exam period time. i don't have much time to come back and edited. I will take in the advice you gave me, because it's the same advice i seem to keep on get through.

and just out of curiosity, have you read any of the other chapter or just this one?

Jazz:

thanks for looking at it. when i have the time, i will go back and fix it up.




User avatar
202 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 202

Donate
Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:43 pm
CastlesInTheSky wrote a review...



Hey there, NightMistress! I'm Sarah and I'm your reviewer for today.

I just stood there as I looked at the person in front of me. He was no longer the skinny kid that I knew when we were in England. He was now a man, a gorgeous one at that. I eyes wondered upon his handsome appearance. They sought out his attire. The coal colored jacket matched the dark black of his eyes. Ethan's eyes were deep enough for any person, probably a lady, to get lost within. His black shirt wore out his six-pact and showed the muscles that ripped down his chest. My eyes then lingered upon his gorgeous face. Ethan's lips were full and played in an excited smile. His smile reminds me of when we were together as newborns. His teeth vibrated a bright white. A smile any superstar would want. Ethan's dark hair was a short cut, but not too long. Ethan looked impressive in his over outlook. Any look that a lady would find attractive. I must have been ogling a little bit too long, because I felt a jabbed to my ribs.


When using description, it’s important not to overdo it. Otherwise, you can end up with what I call “police blotter” description. For example:

He was tall, with brown hair and blue eyes. He wore a red shirt and jeans, and a brown leather jacket.

That's exactly what you've just done here. The reader knows what boys wear, you don't need to go into painful detail about his black shirt, his coal coloured jacket.When we’re told to be more descriptive, it’s easy to go back to those things that we were taught. But being descriptive is more than just inserting a string of descriptive words. It’s carefully choosing the right words and using them sparingly to convey your meaning.

Telling: He sits on the couch holding his guitar.

There’s nothing wrong with that sentence. It gives the reader some basic information, but it doesn’t create an image. Compare that sentence with this:

Showing: His eyes are closed, and he’s cradling the guitar in his arms like a lover. It’s as if he’s trying to hold on to something that wants to let go.

The second example takes that basic information and paints a picture with it. It also uses figurative language—in this case, the simile “cradling the guitar in his arms like a lover”—to help create an image.

I think what you should try to do is insert flaws. He's getting dangerously close to being a Mary Sue here, and that is bad. Give him faults, quirky mannerisms, originality.

“You haven’t change, Liz,” he said with a chuckle, using the nickname he gave a long time ago.


Insert a 'd' at the end of 'change'. And I think you mean, "using the nickname he gave me a long time ago.'

“Guys, this Ethan Sharpe,” I said, introducing him to my siblings.


You need to insert a 'is' before 'Ethan.'

Ashton and Adelicia stare at him like they were dissecting him, then finally Ashton held out a hand to him.


You need to insert a 'd' before stare. It's in the past tense, remember.

“I take it you are Ashton and Adelicia,” Ethan said. At their shock faces, he added, “the council talks a lot about this family since they have obsession with Liz here.”


Edit: At their shocked faces. You missed out the 'ed' at the end of shock. And you need to put 'an' before 'obsession.'
I really don't like this dialogue. It's superficial and somewhat pointless.

and Adelicia watched on with curiosity in their gaze.


I think you mean, 'looked on.'

“Sure,” Adelicia finally said. We walked over to the terminal and picked up Ethan’s Bags
.

You should not have capitalised 'Bags'.

Ashton picked up two of Ethan’s bags,


The repetition of Ethan's bags makes it immature.

and Ethan took care of the rest.


This is really far too much information on who took what bag. The reader seriously doesn't care.

Adelicia saw this as a time to link my arm with her.


With 'her's'. S at the end and apostrophe.

Oh no, here is when the questions began I thought as I looked at her.


Begin, in the present tense. Not 'began'.

“Ashton, why don’t you give my the key, so Elizabeth and I can fetch the car?”


My = me.

I shook ‘no’ at Ashton, but he tossed Adelicia the keys.


This would read WAY better if you rephrased it as:, "I shook my head at Ashton, but he tossed Adelicia the keys anyway."

Crap I thought.


Comma after 'Crap.'

Okay, nightmistress, can I be very honest with you? I'm not very interested in this story. There's nothing differentiating it from the tons of other teenage romance stories out there in the forums. The characters are really 2D and have been done a thousand times before. You need to make them original, make them unique. Your narrative voice doesn't stick out very much. I know it's the seventh chapter, but here there should be evidence of what her personality is like. Flesh her out. Give her quirks and original mannerisms. Show us her flaws, her fears, her worries. What are the things about her that people don't like? You have to be honest about her, or there's nothing to empathise with. Ditto with the love interest.

:arrow: Think about the five senses: taste, touch, smell, sight, sound. For example: "I could taste the salty tang of the sparkling ocean washing around my feet." Write down at least two for each sense. Eventually, you can choose the best ones to put down.

:arrow: Think about your main character. Imagine their appearance, their personalities, odd habits they may have, anything! Think of at least one simile and one metaphor to describe them. You can even base your main character on yourself, if you like.

Sorry for the harsh review. I'm only cruel to be kind.

Good luck!

Sarah




User avatar
147 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 147

Donate
Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:33 pm
jasmine12 wrote a review...



I eyes wondered upon his handsome appearance.

I think you mean my eyes.
~~~~~~~~~
His smile reminds me of when we were together as newborns.

Your playing with tenses here. It should be 'reminded'
~~~~~~~~~~
When describing Ethan, focus on his body first then his face. you went back and forth, first talking about his eyes then his body then his face. just talk about his eyes after.
~~~~~~~~~
Ethan's dark hair was a short cut, but not too long.

Cutt short sounds better.
~~~~~~~~~
Ashton and Adelicia stare at him like they were dissecting him, then finally Ashton held out a hand to him.

Again with tenses. 'stare' should be 'stared'
~~~~~~~~~~
. At their shock faces, he added,

Shocked? maybe?
~~~~~~~~~~~
“Okay, can we not talk about me and get Ethan’s luggage, so we can get the heck out of here?”

This is a run-on. Maybe this sounds better...Okay, can we stop talking about me?" I asked, avoiding the spotlight. "Ashton, can you just grab Ethan's luggage so we can get the heck out of here?" Maybe? Yes? no?
~~~~~~~~~~~
Crap I thought.[/quote]
Comma after crap.


I still feel like you are just telling and not showing. I know she's a vampire but she doesnt have any emotions. They need to break through. Does she like Ethan? Yes. Why? He is gorgeous, okay? so what? Make the reader like Ethan the way Liz does.
AS WELL AS
make the reader suspect Ethan of something the way Adelicia does.

Get it?

Okay, can't wait to read more. Bye.





Only the suppressed word is dangerous.
— Ludwig Borne